Building on the success of the prestigious Chair of the Year Award, the Women’s Board Award was established in 2010 in Norway to recognize excellence and achievement at the highest executive level. Sweden adopted the award in 2012, followed by Denmark (2014), Finland (2016), and Switzerland (2019).
Switzerland currently lags behind other Western European countries in terms of female talent at Board level. In 2018, around a fifth of new board appointments were women, bringing the overall share of women in boards up slightly to 21% (2017: 19%). The generally targeted and politically demanded level is set at 30 % in 2022. The Women’s Board Award shines the spotlight on the important contribution of women in business.
Business partners select and nominate high-achieving board members based on a transparent process and criteria. Candidates must have at least five years’ board experience at a respected firm. Switzerland’s second Women’s Board Award will be presented in Zurich on 26 May 2020 at Vontobel an event hosted by the partners.
• Increase visibility women’s achievement at board level with the selection committees, owners, other board members and executives as well as the general public
• Support expansion of the board candidate pool
• Increase integrated board competence
• Encourage diversity at board level
• Highlight female role models for other women in business